One year ago me and several other people were assigned to work on a small project (as an addition to our main responsibilities). We did some work, spent a lot of time waiting for third parties, and at the moment we have the following situation:
- One third party company that we hired isn't replying to our emails for already several months (we haven't paid them yet, so it's not a big problem).
- Some team members left the company or got different positions.
- The person who was supervising the project left the company.
- We never receive any emails from the management asking for the status, I believe they remember about the project only when we actively remind them.
- Nobody in the team is really working on it, we only write follow-up emails to that third party company once a few weeks. We don't really hope to get a reply anymore, it's mostly to not feel bad about not doing anything.
- At this stage it's clear that the project will bring no benefit to the company.
How should I handle this? I asked my manager for an advice and he recommended to just stop doing it and stop reminding people about that. (My manager has nothing to do with the project, it's supposed to be supervised by people from a different team. So it was just an advice.)
I'd feel uncomfortable to just stop working on the project without notifying anyone, but I can't think of a professional way to say "Hi, we are quitting working on the project A since it doesn't make any sense anymore and we all have better stuff to do".
Upd: All answers are good so far, but I think my question wasn't precise enough. I want my actions to lead to the project being cancelled, I don't really want to proceed working on it as it would be a waste of time and money.