I received a job offer from a research and development startup whose revenue stream comes from government contracting for defense and intelligence agencies. I am not familiar with business-to-government (B2G) business models. How important are the following factors in evaluating the strength of a B2G startup?
- The number of contracts awarded and whether they have been renewed
- Whether the company has prime contracts or does subcontracting through a larger company
- Whether contracts are awarded on a sole-source or competitive basis
- Whether the company has facilities security clearance
- Any other B2G-specific criteria that I should consider?
Specifically, I am interested in how much weight to assign these B2G-specific factors relative to more general business fundamentals that apply to B2C and B2B businesses.
I would appreciate the input of someone with experience in government contracting. Bear in mind that I am looking to assess the strength of the company from the perspective of a prospective employee, not of a potential investor.