I recently decided to send my resume out to a couple of my "dream" jobs. One has responded so far, and after a great first call, I am scheduled to speak with their hiring manager in the coming days. I still have to successfully complete that interview, and any additional interviews. I am however extremely confident, and am coming to terms with the fact that I may really get my dream job.
It's in a state 9 hours away. I am currently in an apartment lease.
Here are my questions:
How much time should I ask for before my start date?
Are there any financial opportunities available to offset the cost of prematurely ending my lease? One would be writing off moving expenses on my taxes. I am planning on asking about relocation assistance too.
Are there any "gotchas" that commonly and unexpectedly occur in this type of event?
If you have done this sort of thing, is there anything you would do differently next time?