I work as an Employee and around 1 year ago I was promoted to be a Director and shareholder within the business.
Last week my boss asked me to call a meeting with the divisional managers he wanted employees who were currently on furlough to return to work (without pay). I did not agree with what he wanted to do however was forced to call the meeting.
As the meeting unfolded the managers were telling him that it was a bad idea, that would be breaking the law, because he wan't getting the answers he wanted he slammed his fists down on the table, stood up leaned over me and shouted with anger to the point I felt unsafe.
I decided without hesitation to leave the building, leaving my company car keys on the side. I phoned a friend and got a lift home.
An hour or so later I receive a phone call from one of the managers in the meeting telling me that my boss has said they are not aloud to speak to me, and if I try to contact them they should ignore me.
I receive a phone call a few days later from my boss's partner (who also works in the business) she tells me my boss wants my phone, and that they want me on furlough, I make it clear at this point I am still happy to work from home as I was previously however i'm told that they want me on furlough, so I handed back the phone as requested.
I then get a text a few days later saying, we're returning to work on Monday if we don't see you there we expect that you have left and will forward any personal stuff to the address we have on file. I respond saying that I am fully happy to return to work, they reply see you Monday at 9am.
When I get there I am called in to a meeting immediately he asked if I plan to hand in my notice or stay with the business. I explain that although I felt unsafe and feel as if I have been treated unfairly that I haven't yet decided what is best for myself, so at the moment I am happy to carry on.
I then get told I have two options.
1, Hand in my notice, resign as director and give back my shares, in return they will pay me garden leave for my notice period
2, That I don't resign and my boss fill fold the company ensuring I am liable for some costs.
I don't agree to either of these options and am told to go home and wait to hear from them. a few days later I get an invite to another meeting...
He changes his tune, I know have 2 different options.
1, Hand in my notice 2, Try to reconcile and return to work, however he has explained that my role would be different if I returned.
and that's where we are to date, he is waiting for a reply from myself. I feel if I decide to return to work next month I would get a letter of redundancy, he can't do that now as I would have a case for constructive dismissal but I wouldn't if I agreed to return and he knows that.
I feel it's unfair to hand back all my hard work for nothing, and that I have to find a similar position, when at the moment we are under lock down and the job market is at an all time low.
He has told me my shares are not worth anything unless the business was to be sold which he has no plans to do, so will not look at the option of buying me out.
What should I do?
(Thank you for anyone who took the time to read this, and to anyone who can offer their opinion)