Is there a polite way to say that you are leaving work because you don't trust your current employer will follow through with the counteroffer received, that will also not "burn bridges" with the current employer?
I work for company A and received a better offer from company B (mostly money wise).
I decided to approach my direct supervisor about possibility of a raise, promotion, etc. - the answer from management was that it's possible (not guaranteed) not earlier than after a few more months.
Therefore, I decided to accept the offer from company B and informed my current employer about it.
Of course, once I did that, company A started working on a counteroffer for me and asked what salary would satisfy me.
They came up with a upskilling plan for me, after which (again, after few months) I could be promoted and receive the salary that would match the range provided by me.
Big issue: they made it clear that it would be possible for me to be promoted in a few months. I asked if we could get in writing somewhere that if I complete the plan, I will be guaranteed the promotion - the answer was no, because there is no guarantee (tldr corporate approvals, budget plans, etc.).
Company A has had a few bad situations in the past, where they would plan or suggest one thing, and then the upper management would randomly decide to change it and not do the planned or expected thing.
Therefore, even though the offer I received is really tempting, I am really worried that they will not follow through with it, and just waste a few more of months during which I could be working for and growing in company B.
If asked, is there a polite way to say that their offer is great and would definitely satisfy me, however without any guarantees I don't trust they will follow through with it and therefore I am settling with deal from company B?
I value my direct supervisors and I'd like to be honest with them, however I am afraid that being honest may result in the situation getting sticky and with me leaving the company A on bad terms.