1

I have 2 job offers – one's already been made, the other is on the way. I like them both.

I'll take the one that's been already offered, say job-1. call the other job-2.

I'll take job-1 because it's

  • a very good contract
  • been elaborating progressively for a while (government contract). Saying no to it (not that I'm considering to do so) wouldn't only be unprofessional, would also be shutting all the doors, for good, not just to similar roles, but to the major agency getting me hired for this project

job-2 is a permanent role. I started talking to them more recently. They didn't ask and i didn't tell about "any other prospects, possible other offers, timeline on these.." It's a company that i see myself in the long run. but not at the cost of giving up on job-1. so - what I want is to defer job-2 for 6 months from now-- till I'll have finished job-1.

Is this any doable?

Every way i look, this "feels" too much to ask. I wouldn't like it a tiny bit if I were the company of job-2.

Is it fair even to mention this possibility to job-2?

I'm looking for opinion on how to go about it. i like job-2 also - don't wanna give up on it just like that.

9
  • 1
    Why not tell job-2 the truth?
    – Aida Paul
    Jun 10, 2020 at 17:38
  • @TymoteuszPaul how? not sounding like 'i'm in demand, gotta defer you guys'
    – ash__999
    Jun 10, 2020 at 17:43
  • Why do you think that's a bad image though? You clearly value the job 1 first, so tell the job 2 that you will love to join them, but first must finish the job 1 that you've already accepted, but will finish in two months.
    – Aida Paul
    Jun 10, 2020 at 17:44
  • @TymoteuszPaul 6 months not 2. 2 months is merely project - wouldn't mind saying that. 6 months is different
    – ash__999
    Jun 10, 2020 at 17:53
  • Sorry, that was typo in my mind it was six months. I still don't understand why do you think this is a bad solution?
    – Aida Paul
    Jun 10, 2020 at 18:02

1 Answer 1

2

every way i look, this "feels" too much to ask.

It is a lot to ask. But if you don't ask, you won't know.

If you do ask, be prepared with a response, if the answer is "No. We won't wait that long."

i'm looking for opinion on how to go about it.

Something like "I'd love to accept your offer. And I could see myself in this company for a long time. But I am already committed to a contract job for the next 6 months. Could I start once my contract ends?"

Then, listen to the reply and proceed accordingly.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .