I am currently a developer in Japan, and recently I am assigned with a new project. I will just list it up, so that it is easier to understand:
- The manager said that we will be implementing Agile but since he don't have experience he will let us handle that
- After our meeting on data requirements, although the requirements are so sooo vague, I still created some simple screen and database flow, just to check if we have the same understanding.
- Unfortunately, these documents are not correct according to Japanese standard(When I asked if they have a format, he cannot give me one). Also they want me to create details specification documentation, database relationship flows and functionality flows and etc at the start of the project. It so ironic to call this project to be using Agile.
- For this to complete including the lots of documentation since it is a simple keyword matching project(which by the way based on their specs is not), they just give us a month since he said it is Agile.
- We can't start it up, because I cannot give him these documents in Japanese standard format, although I already give him a lot of flow related documents which is more important for us when we developed our task. We haven't even reach to the Story level kind of preparation, since he also want this documented at the first stage of the project and all other things.
My previous projects with a Japanese person was successful since they are open and listen to my suggestion(since I have quite of experience working in Agile team) and we had quite a lot of fun on that projects even though it was too complex. This project is too simple though but as it drags on, they keep adding something which will make it hard for us finish in 1 month.
My problem now, I've given them a lot of documents but they never try to check or sometimes if I asked a feedback they will just said that it is not a Japanese standard. I also did tried to tell them that it is not an Agile way, if create these documents on the first stage, we might as follow it just like a normal Waterfall do. Cause everytime there might be a change, during development we also need to change these document.
Am I wrong insisting what I want, considering the time constraints? Or maybe my approached was bad or something? Or should I just go on their way? Because I am pretty sure that, if me and my teammates will do their way, we will fail due to time constraints with all these documents needed to be created and stuff. Or maybe I am just being negative? I am really not sure anymore. I hope anyone who have the same experience can help me out.