Our office opened back up about 3 weeks ago. With this COVID craziness, the stores around the office have been experiencing another shortage of toilet paper.
Although toilet paper is available online from places like Amazon, people around here are panicking and have started stealing toilet paper from the office. We're not talking about a small quantity either; facilities told me that a month's supply was used up in 2 days.
Several members from management (including myself) sent out a firmly worded e-mail to everybody telling everybody to be respectful and considerate, and a reminder that theft of company property, including toilet paper, will result in disciplinary measures. Unfortunately, the culprits haven't listened, and theft is just as rampant, if not worse. We still don't know how many people we're actually dealing with.
This situation is maddening. Other members of management have proposed the following potential solutions:
- Closely monitoring everybody as they go in/out of the bathroom
- Frisking people as they leave the office to check for stolen items
- Providing every employee with 1 roll of TP for the week and they will be responsible for bringing to the bathroom
- Telling employees to bring in their own TP from home
- Change the budget around to spend an obscene amount of money on TP
All of these solutions are just awful, but I'm at a loss of what to do next. This is an incredibly frustrating situation. Any advice?