I am starting a new job tomorrow, but my boss insists I need to finish tasks at my old job or else I can't leave. What should I do?
My old boss is running his own business on company salary while I do his job for peanuts. Besides this he has been abusive toward me in a number of ways, including:
- assigning tasks from multiple projects without explaining what needs to be done, often not being in the office at the time
- calling me at night and abusing me if the tasks are not completed
- dumping his responsibilities on me including talking with clients
- forwarding mail which was intended for him and asking me to teach him so that he will know what to say in meetings
- asking me to work Saturdays and Sundays without informing HR
- Everyday I have to work from 9-11 and if I finish by 6 he assigned me new tasks, and if I came across any difficulty he would abuse me rather than guiding me on what to do
I finally resigned from my job and almost completed a 60 day notice period, but my boss assigned me tasks from two projects and told me that I have to finish all these tasks by today, otherwise I cannot leave. My start date at my new company is tomorrow. What should I do now?