I am a software developer, and I'm actively applying for positions. The average turnaround time for application through offer in my area and industry is about 6 to 8 weeks, which is a pretty long time.
I've never really given myself the luxury of evaluating several offers at once before, I would apply to one company and focus exclusively on them. I didn't have trouble with interviews but I've had some short tenures at places for one reason or another, reasons which I could probably have avoided if I'd looked around for, and better understood, my alternative options.
So this time I'm engaging with several companies. The problem is, due to happenstance, one of them is significantly farther along in the interviewing process than others. I am worried that they will corner me with an offer on a time limit, and not give me the chance to even complete the interview process with another company (which I understand is 100% in their best interests to try to do). On the other hand, I'm worried that they will withdraw from negotiations completely if I pump the brakes a little bit, so to speak.
What options do I have? I have considered the following:
- scheduling interviews with wider gaps between them (but as we progress through them, there are fewer and fewer interviews left)
- stepping on the gas with other companies (but there's only so much time that they can squeeze out of a 6-8 week process)
- directly requesting a delay from the farthest-along company
- asking their recruiter about how many other applicants are being considered for the position
This is the first time I've really been in this situation and I'm not sure how to proceed. Please advise.