I'm currently working on an hourly contract with this company, I love the job and I love the environment and my team, however, my contract is only 6 months (I'm covering for someone taking a sabbatical leave). I'm currently 3 months in.
My manager told me that she's really impressed with my performance and wants to keep me stable part of the team and that she told our CEO that recruiting me and someone else in the team was the best recruiting decision she's made but she needs to find a position for me. I've been helping with different projects aside from my main job, but I haven't heard anything back from her.
There's a new job opportunity in the same company that matches my qualifications, and I want to apply to it.
Should I ask my manager first and ask if there's any new info about me getting a stable position in my current team because I'm applying to somewhere different if there are no chances? and how should I go about this?