I am looking for new jobs but feel not good enough to take a job in another company. Simply because I am hanging between roles and therefore do not really know who I am, in professional terms.
- I did my Master's in Business and also worked there in research part-time as a Data Scientist (Python Coding of Neural Network Implementation).
- After graduation, I briefly worked in IT Security for a global corporation, which I also enjoyed, but unfortunately the corporate culture was toxic.
- I switched to a consulting firm. I have been working there for two years and I am actually in charge of the entire development (three developers). I take care of DevOps, security, do development myself, but also know the entire business processes of the clients and am in meetings with them to gather the technical requirements for features. It's just too much and also a reason why I'm switching.
However, I don't feel like a developer and I don't know if I want to go back there:
- I don't write good code myself. It works productively, but I rarely use dependency injections, interfaces and such classic patterns, because I never really learned them.
- On paper I am just a technical consultant. So it will be hard to communicate these skills
- At the same time, I don't like to be in deadlines all the time, so a project management role is probably not the right thing for me either
- I just have two years of experience (+ one year in research and two year as full-stack freelancer as a part-time)
Most of the companies near me are classic financial sector companies. That's why I'm a bit worried that they have a conservative mindset regarding resume and skills.