Should I give notice at work before closing on the house I'm selling? I'll be signing the closing contract in two weeks. I was thinking of giving notice now at work, but I know the buyer can back out right until they sign (all inspections passed and buyer loves the house). I do not yet have a new job on the other coast. So, just wondering if I should I wait until the day of signing to give notice at work. I will be driving right after I finish signing. I could work while on the road (I am not actually doing the driving) and even after I reach my new destination (as I do not have a job yet there). My manager is nice but lately was too quick to judge after a coworker wrongly accused me. What would you do?
It depends on two factors:
- What will you do if the closing contract isn't signed as you expect?
- How confident are you that you can fulfil your job while "on the road"? Or alternatively how comfortable are you with delaying your drive to the other coast two weeks if necessary?
If you would still quit your job and drive away in two weeks, even if the contract isn't signed, then go ahead and give notice now. If not it's probably best to wait until you are definitely leaving.
Be aware that your employer may not be OK with you working from the road for the last two weeks. There may be handover operations that need to be done in person. You may have equipment that you need to return. They can require you to be at the office in person unless you have a contract that specifically says you don't need to be there.
In general it's a bad idea to give notice and then immediately be unavailable in person. Your colleagues may want to say goodbye in person. (Of course in times of Covid this may not be possible, but I'm writing this for future readers in the post-Covid era.)
If you decide to give your notice on the day of the contract, I would recommend having a backup plan should your work require personal attendance for your notice period.