I've been working about 5 years for the engineering industry. The last 4 years have been in Europe. I'm now looking for a new position, and would like to ask for some feedback regarding the documents which make up the job application:
- When given the option, I merge the document as follows: Cover letter, followed by CV, followed by References. 3 pages total.
- I'm still going with the conventional US 1-pager resume, short and to the point. Do European companies typically expect longer resumes? Or is 1 page still OK?
- Over the last 5 years, I have not included the recipients address in the cover letter. I fail to see the utility of this, since job applications are typically done online nowadays. I do, however, tailor the cover letter to the hiring manager responsible for the position, and address them by name. Is not including the recipient address frowned upon?
- In all pages of the job application, I include a header with my name and title. The header also includes my address and contact details (similar to this). I do this to give the entire application a consistent feel. Is this acceptable?
- The References page includes past colleagues appreciations of my work. These are typically verbatim quotes such as "I've known David for 3 years in his last position as .... He is diligent, a hard worker etc.". I realize this is atypical. Would it come across as overdoing things? Or would a hiring professional appreciate having the added insight?
Thanks for your consideration.