This question may end up being too vague and flawed in several ways, so I am taking a risk, but I think it is something of general value, and I'll try to limit the scope, so please give it a chance.
I work in a small tech company with software developers, DBAs, devops etc etc. We all have specialist skills, and it often creates a problem when one of us is off work, so I am thinking about how we can teach each other about our expertise in in the best format.
What I am after is not which media technology to use, but the format of the process - perhaps elements like:
- A short presentation
- A written document (containing what?)
- Demo and active participation
- Apprenticing/mentoring with a defined plan
- Occasionally subjects outside the scope of work (eg. a subject in science or whatever) for it interest value
- Discussion of the session: was it interesting, was something missing etc
I would like to hear about people's experiences and opinions as to what works. My ambition is not just to teach everybody strictly relevant skills, but also to strengthen everbody's ability to express themselves with confidence and clarity, speaking in public etc.
So, what do you think?