I got myself into a somewhat tricky situation and I would appreciate any opinions on that matter.
A week ago company A offered me an internship position which I was happy about and I confirmed via Email that I would like to accept their offer.
One day after I have accepted the offer, company B wrote me and said that they would like to have an interview with me to discuss a potential internship.
I went through with the interview, because I thought that it couldn't hurt, and I have to say, that the internship company B offers is better in pretty much every single aspect. Company B said that they need up to 10 days to decide whether or not I get the internship (because there were of course other applicants).
The issue is, that company A already sent me a contract and they want me to sign in the next few days, so I can't wait for company B to respond. The contract that company A sent, clearly says that I can cancel the contract immediately within the first 4 weeks without a reason, so I am thinking of just signing the contract and if I get a positive responds from company B, I would simply quit. However, I feel like a total piece of shit for doing this, because company A probably already told other candidates that the position is taken and that they are no longer interested in them and they would have to interview new candidates...
I considered to tell company A about the position I am in, but if company B decides for someone else, and company A also says that they cant wait or won't wait that long, then I am stuck without an internship which I badly need.
Does anyone have an idea how to handle the situation better, or is it fair to put my own interests first like this?