I've been with my current employer for over 5 years, and in general I love the company and the work that I do. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago there was some restructuring and now my team, that I'm currently the head of, was put under the over-sight of the new COO, and it feels like a constant struggle with him, with incomplete information, timelines constantly being shifted, and if he doesn't like what he hears from the team he will just use his position as COO to over-ride our input. In addition, the management roles I had as head of the team were slowly delegated by the COO to his assistant. When I raised this, and the fact that I wished to do more management, at my 2 previous reviews and also at a couple of one-to-one meetings, I was always just told that they didn't need that from me.
I knew we had another restructure happening, and as part of this my team was going to be moved to another department away from the COO, so I decided to wait. However, this proposed move hasn't happened for 12 months but I have been involved recently in discussions to make this happen and we were given a timeline which should be in January. In the meantime, I have lost a couple of good team members as they didn't want to wait and had issues with the COO. Then at the beginning of this month the COO has started to tell people that my team shouldn't even be thingking about the move yet as this won't be for another 6 months at least.
As I was concerned that the COO would keep pushing the move back and back, and it is obvious I can't make any progress in my position as it currently stands, I started to look for a new position.
So the current position is that I have accepted a new role, and handed my notice in on Thursday. I have since been contacted directly, first by the CEO and then the head of the department I would be moving to, to ask me to stay and saying they have been and will be intervening to make sure that the move does happen and confirming that the move will also be a promotion for me.
tldr; So, do I go to the new role, or do I stay? Can I stay, as I've already accepted the new position, but I haven't as yet given them my start date?