I have recently received an offer for a job at a large company in Lausanne, Switzerland and my wife and I are expecting a child about a month after the proposed start date. I haven't told the recruiter about this yet, but I am considering telling my future boss so we don't get off to a bad start. The company is very generous about paternity benefits and I am worried that if I tell them now (before I've signed the contract), they could push my starting date beyond the baby's due date. In this case I would miss out on any paternity benefits. Is it better to inform my boss or should I keep this to myself for now?


So, given what got upvoted here and on other threads, I decided to wait until I had signed my offer. Given the positive reactions from my boss and the recruiter, I don't think I need have worried and I don't think it made a difference. But I think it was the right decision. Everyone is supportive of the four months of leave the company policy entitles me to (even though I will have to take the leave during the probationary period during which they could let me go for any or no reason). I guess it's just a matter of being lucky with a good company and nice coworkers. Thanks to everyone for the helpful inputs.

  • There's a good answer at workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/119173/… but as you are in Switzerland things might be slightly different.
    – deep64blue
    Feb 26, 2022 at 14:09
  • Yeah, it kind of confirms what I thought already - since I already received an offer, if they were to rescind that upon finding out about my situation, it would seem an awful lot like pregnancy discrimination and likely be illegal...
    – quintle
    Feb 26, 2022 at 14:12
  • @JoeStrazzere Four months.
    – quintle
    Feb 26, 2022 at 19:30
  • @JoeStrazzere Yeah, yikes. It's not what I would have wanted either, I would have favored starting much earlier, or having the baby much later. But unfortunately, it's a bit hard to time these things precisely.
    – quintle
    Feb 26, 2022 at 19:56
  • 1
    @nick012000 No I haven't. I've worked for these guys before and made them money, I don't see why I should waive any benefits, for a large corporation...
    – quintle
    Feb 27, 2022 at 11:24

1 Answer 1


At the point at which you have a signed and accepted offer. There is no value in doing so beforehand, and however much local laws may protect you, unscrupulous companies will find a way round if they want to.

(Of course, a really unscrupulous company may try and do something even after you have a signed and accepted offer but if they're that bad there's probably nothing you can do about it)

  • 1
    I guess I'm worried that doing that could lead to a bad relationship with my boss o=right out of the gate. But maybe I'm overthinking things...
    – quintle
    Feb 26, 2022 at 19:36
  • 3
    Any reasonable boss will understand why you did things this way. Feb 26, 2022 at 20:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .