My contract as an application developer is coming to an end in a week from now.
The company has expressed that they really like me and need me and they would like to convert me to a permanent employee. At some point they also expressed they are looking for a second developer to join the team as I am the only one.
When discussing future plans with management they asked me to think and let them know what my expected salary was going to be if I went perm. After a few days I told them the figures I had in mind, which is higher than average. However the workload an skillets required to perform the job is also higher than average and rare to find a good fit and I explained that I am good fit for for the job and I provide the value that the company needs and then some, and they agreed. However, management said the figure was too high and they'll let me know what they decide as it is above their budget.
This all happened weeks ago. My contract is coming to an end in a week from now. Management said they'll 'let me know' their decision during our conversation weeks ago. I haven't heard a word since. I need to secure my position in another company if it doesn't work out with this one and a week isn't long. Moreover it seems that just recently they have been really trying hard to hire another developer.
Could this all be a negotiation strategy? Should I ask for an update or be patient and wait for them to inform me of their decision?
I appreciate the feedback,
Thanks in advance!