I feel lost at work lately. It feels like I do not have a clear purpose anymore. Motivation is low, I cannot find challenges anymore. I am asking myself constantly, if it is the time to leave and look for something else. Work environment is supportive. At the same time, I am in that period of life when everything is happening at full speed. Work, family, small kids, finishing a house, trying to do some sports… Rinse and repeat.
What questions should I ask myself to truly find out, if I should stay, and what to change to fully utilise capabilities? Is it, maybe, a time for me to switch? How to find out if my lack of motivation is due to work or is just a rainy passage in the journey called life?
The best question so far that I came across, which partly answers my question, is "What would you do, if all jobs out there were paying the same amount of money?"
SOLUTION v0.9: An objective time sequence of questions, which were obtained from thew answers, and should be followed in the exact order.
- How long has it been since I was happy to work here (days, weeks, months)?
- Am I unhappy because of work, or is there something else outside that (personal problems, general overload)?
- Are you still able to find joy in other areas of life? If so, then the job may indeed be the real issue.
- So are you trying to change your job or your career (change the immediate environment or change yourself)?
- What would you do, if all jobs out there were paying the same amount of money?