I am a software engineer in a western European country. I started working for a local medium-sized tech company here last week, but now I also got an offer from Amazon. Amazon is offering to pay much more. Almost 130k Euro/year, which is an insane amount of money in my opinion. The other company pays just over 80k Euro/year, which is not amazing, but still good. Both gross/before tax. Both are mostly cash with very little stock. Amazon's offer shifts to more stock vests after two years whereas the cash component actually declines. The other company stays this way, mostly cash. I have about 5 years experience, depending on how you count.
Now I am conflicted on what to do and am looking for some fresh perspectives. Here are a few thoughts:
- Money is not the biggest issue for me right now. I still have heaps of cash (100k roughly) lying around from previous jobs and I don't even spend a lot. Tbh even 80k will be more than I spend anyway. But more money is never a bad thing either. Especially when it's so much more.
- I really like the company I started at. Good people, no bullshit, project seems alright. I think Amazon would be great aswell, but I don't know that for sure. Where as with the other company I can see myself working there for a while for sure even after a few days. The project domain also interests me slightly more than at Amazon, but not much of a difference, it's almost a tie.
- In the past two years with Covid I had a lot of turbulance with job changes, failed starts, moves etc. I am really anxious about picking a job that won't work out and then I have to switch again. I am really looking for stability, belonging and purpose at the moment. I think I might get that at Amazon, but with the other company I feel confident even after a few days. The other company has also already started. I would have to quit two weeks after joining. I am in a job right now and everything is settled, which I really enjoy at the moment; Amazon said they would be quick but still a few weeks out. This is important to me, but at the same time it feels dumb to be driven by short term emotional needs that might be completely different again in a short time.
- I have heard Amazon has bad Work/Life-Balance. I am not lazy, but if I have the choice to do 1.5X the work for 1.5X the pay, right now, I would rather stick with 1X for both. Again, I don't know that Amazon will be like that, but my current job doesn't seem very stressful at all.
- Amazon could be amazing. I can learn a lot of things. I also appreciate the option to one day move around to other countries and/or projects within such a large company. it will also be a good name to have on the CV.
In summary, I think my gut feeling is telling me to stay in the company I am in right now. But am I being stupid turning down such an opportunity to work for Amazon? Would I be stupid turning down so much money? It feels like I am scared of experiments and risk, which is a bit unusual for me. Normally I am much more adventurous, but the past two Covid years have shaken me up quite a bit. I am worried that that is blinding me.
Disclaimer: I am not going to disclose the company I am working for to retain at least some form of anonymity, Amazon on the other hand is massive with loads of people getting offers in western Europe, I could be any of them. Also I want to hear people's opinion on Amazon. Disclaimer 2: I know I have to make my own decision. And I will. I just want to hear some perspectives from peers.