My new employer states in the employee handbook that any outstanding debt must be paid before they will release your W-2 form, which is required in the United States when filing your taxes. Is this legal?

  • 4
    1.No. 2.What does this even mean?
    – mxyzplk
    Jul 12, 2022 at 23:47
  • 1
    Please tag a country. Jul 12, 2022 at 23:47
  • 1
    How exactly does an employee become in-debt to an employer?
    – Donald
    Jul 13, 2022 at 1:14
  • 2
    "Is this legal?" --> Go to Law. Jul 13, 2022 at 11:51
  • 1
    a) Please tag a country. b) What do you mean by "outstanding debt"? Jul 13, 2022 at 13:47

1 Answer 1


Your employer is legally obligated to give you your W2 and it must be correct:

If by the end of February, your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement has not been corrected by your employer after you attempted to have your employer or payer issue a corrected form, you can request that an IRS representative initiate a Form W-2 complaint. Call the IRS toll free at 800-829-1040 or make an appointment to visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC).

You must log in to answer this question.