About 8 weeks ago, I interviewed for a position. The interview went well, and they gave me a verbal offer, telling me to expect a written offer within the week. I put in my 2 weeks' notice and left the job at the time.
I did not hear back that first week, and when I reached out for clarification, my interviewer explained that things were hectic at the company (they were getting audited by an authorization company, common in my industry, and the CTO, who likes to review all offers, has not had time to review it). That went on for some time, but last week they emailed me to confirm that they still intended to hire me, and to thank me for my patience. So I do have an offer in writing, though not a formal one. Unfortunately they still do not have an expected timeline!
The first time they delayed me, I wrote back indicating that I would need an additional starting bonus to compensate me for my time. They agreed to this. That was 2 weeks ago.
I have continued to interview with other companies in my field, but have not been receiving offers. What is the best way to respond to this most recent email, once again thanking me for my patience, reiterating their desire to hire me, but offering no clear path forward? I have been out of work now for over 6 weeks, and finances are getting tight.
I do not think they are "jerking me around" as some replies to similar questions have implied, as sometimes my contact at the company will reach out to me with a status update (no change!) without me reaching out first. I believe they intend to hire me, but (for a variety of nebulous internal obstacles) are unable to close to the loop.
This is mostly about the legal side of things in the UK, with the advice to continue applying for jobs, which I am.
The advice here is to get the offer in writing (I have emails) and to search elsewhere (I have been, though unsuccessfully).
This is about a start date that keeps getting moved. In my case, I have not been given one. The advice given here is to exercise patience, and to not leave your job until the written offer is in hand. That ship has sailed for me.
Edit: My question is: How can I best respond to this recruiter to communicate the urgency of my situation and speed things along ?
I am also curious about the normalcy of this experience, which seems to have been largely addressed.
Update: It has been almost a month since I asked this question, and I never received a more formal offer from that company (but still occasionally get emails from them). I was able to land a job at a different company in my field; my first day is Monday.