I was recently offered a job that really doesn't feel like the right fit for me. Some red flags during the interview, offer, and subsequent discussions were raised. The problem is that this is a large department in the company I already work for and it is possible that I will be applying to other positions in this department again. It's just this specific team that raised concern.
The question is: Do I explain my reasons for not taking it, or just say a polite no thank you?
More information: here are the red flags
- Some of the interview committee made me feel that my training was not suitable, even going so far as to say I was "rough around the edges" but that they can "smooth me out". This may be true, and I'm happy to learn as much as I can, but I did not get the impression it was said with kindness, more like "you'll do, but we'll fix you". That doesn't make me want to work there.
- The salary is well below my expectations, and would actually involve a substantial pay cut. The earning potential is higher, but that would be in more than a decade of work. After raising this concern I was given an updated offer with a minor increase in salary, not anywhere close to what I'm making now. The hiring manager is aware of my current salary.
- I was told one thing during the interview, but during negotiations with someone not on the hiring committee I was told something entirely different. This difference amounts to nearly fifteen thousand dollars per year. Basically, the interview committee said that it would be impossible to change the job description (and therefore the salary), but the person doing the hiring told me that it can happen. The hiring manager was trying to get me to accept the offer, but given what the committee said I do not trust that this will ever happen
- The starting salary is well below industry average, and of all of the people in this role almost none of them are making anywhere near the industry average (in my country, we can look this information up)
- They told me that they were interviewing "many" candidates and that hiring would take "months", but I got the offer in under a week
- I will be losing substantial autonomy in my work to move here