I'm a current CS student and was vying for an internship with Company A. I had interviews in December, and received a verbal offer by phone from my recruiter in the same month. Then, around last week, he sent a written offer letter.

In my stupidity, I told him that I was currently overseas and had limited Internet, but for him to let me know the next steps. I did not explicitly accept the offer letter, but I'm not sure if "next steps" could be interpreted as "I accepted". I did this because I was waiting on an offer from Company B (my top choice), but did not want to ask for an extension.

What's worse is I reread the letter and noticed that, at the bottom, it said to respond "within five days". I had read this five days after he sent the letter, so on the morning of the sixth day, I explained that this was an error on my part, and explicitly accepted.

I am a bit worried because he never responded to either of my emails yet; the former was sent five days ago and the follow-up two days ago. I also called him this afternoon to try to clear things but was taken to voicemail, with no follow-up call.

My plan is to attempt to call him on Monday morning, and maybe even the HR department if that is to no avail. Am I overreacting and reading too much into this? I'm overthinking a lot that he may have blocked/blacklisted me because of the initial email. I just wish I said "yes" in the first email and dealt with an offer from Company B after the fact, but it's too late for that unfortunately.

  • 1
    Entirely reasonable to call them and say "I know I was slow in responding, but I am still interested; did I get the position, or if it is still open can I ask to be considered for it again? Note that I said call; if time is important email is the wrong medium.
    – keshlam
    Commented Feb 3 at 1:34
  • I did call my recruiter directly today, but I got sent to voicemail and he never called back. I am planning on calling him again on Monday. Would it be reasonable to call the HR department instead, if he doesn't get back to me?
    – myGuy3
    Commented Feb 3 at 2:12
  • @myGuy3 - I would stick with the individual you have already been communicating with.
    – Donald
    Commented Feb 3 at 4:40
  • Wow, that company waits for 2 months to send you a verbal offer. It may take them another 2 months to send you an official written offer. Maybe, they use the Slow Motion or Speedy Snail methodology. Just wait and see how they respond. Commented Feb 3 at 8:43

2 Answers 2


People can be busy with things, maybe he is on leave. It is enough that you have emailed twice and that you are trying to contact him.

  • But don't pester him. Call him only once a day at most, for 2 or 3 days, tops.
  • If you are being taken to voicemail, then leave him a voicemail.
  • Do not go over his head, directly to HR. Absolutely no one likes that.
  • That makes sense and is reassuring. I’ll attempt to call him on Monday, and leave a voicemail if he doesn’t answer. I won’t attempt to contact him after that
    – myGuy3
    Commented Feb 3 at 16:24

Am I overreacting and reading too much into this?


It is unlikely that the recruiter blocked/blacklisted you.

To me, if you call the recruiter once and leave a message on their voice mail, that would be enough. You can also write him an additional email just in case. Professional people will check their phone/email and respond to you ASAP.

So, let them respond on their own time frame.

I don't see the point of calling the same recruiter too many times.

There are 2 possible scenarios:

  1. They intentionally ignore you because they find someone else. In this case, they will send you a rejection email later.
  2. They will reply you later because they are too busy, or the boss is on vacation now. They may discuss the next step with you.

For now, you should focus more on company B, and apply for more jobs at other companies.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .