I'm a Web Developer w/ No Design Skills - Should I Still Have a Portfolio?
I want to get into contracting for web development, but I don't yet have a portfolio. Unfortunately, my professional web development experience consists of the following:
- First year university project - can't remember where I put the source code
- Website for a small business - still around, but a cheap and quick job, not very pretty
- Webmaster for two university societies - sites have since been redesigned
- During my first full-time job:
- WebOS App - HP cancelled WebOS just before we were planning to release the app
- An intranet site
- Second fulltime job - 80% backend work. Only there for 6 months and didn't end well, so not going to get a good reference
I was talking to a possible client and he asked if he could see some previous work. So, do I show them the one website that I have - it's better than nothing right? How do I explain the lack of evidence?