I am working as Lead at a client site. I have a team member who reports to me. He is from a contractor from our company vendor. I consider him a good team member:
- He has good technical knowledge and he is ideal candidate for the role. The interview panel liked him from the start.
- He meets all my (and project) expectations.
- He takes good care of the project; he professionally escalates if he has any concern or problem.
- His attitude is professional and he took the extra mile many times when this was required for the project.
- His behavior and communication are professional. He never breaks or misuses my trust.
However, a couple of weeks after he joined I asked about his visa status when I met him informally. He said it was approved.
Recently he approached me and asked my help for a client letter to address a query on his visa processing. I am in a position to arrange that letter from the client for him. He apologized for conveying wrong information earlier. And he explained to me that he was thinking that I am asking about his extension which is approved. And also he thought that the vendor might have updated all the information.
The below are some facts about the incident
- Initially he told that his Visa status is approved, it is with current employer and it is valid till 2016.
- He is now saying he got RFE on his Visa and request for client letter.
- Based on the process flow published in USCIS website(https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/CaseStatus.do) there is no chance to get RFE after H1B Visa got approved.
- I am also living in USA on H1B VISA. And I have decent knowledge about H1B process. As per me USCIS never issues H1B after approving H1B.
- When I raise this question he says that his extension was approved and the transfer of VISA to current employer is still in process. And apologized not clear on this for first time
Based on that I think he is lied to me. But I don’t know now how to react to his request.If he has lied I am not sure under what circumstances he lied to me.
Do I address his request and issue the letter or not?If he has lied how can I trust him further? I am unable to decide right course of action at this juncture. Hence my question would be
What is the reasonable course of action I should go for?