I left a known IT firm after approximately 8 months of service to pursue higher education (Aug 2011). At that time, I was in a bond, so serving the notice period did not make much sense. However, I tried to settle everything with the HR. But, I was unable to do so. I informed my manager with an email about my resignation and it was duly acknowledged by him.

Now, after my PGDM for 2 years (not based on my experience) I was selected in an Indian bank. They (third party verification agency hired by the bank) are asking me to submit my relieving letter, but I told them that I was unable to serve my notice period so, I don't have it. Also, I have provided my resignation acceptance mail and manager's number to verify things.

Still they have some forms that require a copy of relieving letter. I don't understand what should I do now?

Is it possible to get a relieving letter now after 2.5 yrs?

Or should I explain everything to the HR in my bank. Or maybe try and resolve things with the third party agency only.


1 Answer 1


However, I tried to settle everything with the HR. But, I was unable to do so.

It is hard to answer this question without knowing what the loose ends are and why you were unable to settle everything. Since you were serving a bond, did you owe the company any money before you quit ?

Anyhow, if I were you, I would get in touch with the old employer and ask for a relieving letter. It is indeed possible to get a relieving letter after 2.5 years. I had a few friends from India do the same (not relieving letter but something similar) as a part of their (USA - PR) Green card process. And am told, most companies cooperate for the same.

If there is no response or the company refuses to provide the letter, you can keep a trail of the mail exchanges and submit those to the Bank's HR explaining the situation. You may be able to provide salary slips/bank statements/tax returns proving your employment with the organization in question.

  • As you describe anything is possible. Its just a matter of getting it done. Its likely the company will refuse to provide the letter. If thats the case not much can be done.
    – Donald
    Jun 23, 2014 at 11:07
  • @Ramhound - Actually as I understand it there is a labor board that you can take the case to. That is literally all I know so not really worth an answer to say as such. I would expect someone who understands the Indian Labor processes could do a great answer to this question though. Jun 24, 2014 at 21:02
  • @Chad The reply and messages in the question you asked about Indian relieving letters say that a company can be sued for not issuing a relieving letter. There is no legal tag to this question and neither is it asking for legal alternatives. The question, however, asks 'Is it possible to get a relieving letter now after 2.5 yrs?' Which my answer, more or less succinctly answers. So it would help to understand the context before you downvote Jun 25, 2014 at 3:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .