I'd thought I'd get some thoughts on my situation.
I have been looking for a new job position while still thinking long term at my current company. I had been following the mindset that until I got a solid job offer, I should still be working at my current company like normal.
Before the job hunting began, I was already signed up for a two day training cost (~$2k). I decided to still go on with the training until again I had a solid job offer.
I now have a job offer and ready to sign the papers. The issue is that this offer has come in while I am actually doing this training right now. What can I do professionally about it?
My initial thoughts were
- in terms of compensation, upon my official resignation, I would offer to forgo paying up my unused vacation as a way to pay back for the training cost. Normally I think most would say it is the company's problem but because of the awkward timing I feel it is appropriate(?).
- in terms of notice, I could either
- Go back to the office during the breaks in the training (the venue not too far), and give the company notice then
- Or wait until training completes, and give them notice the next day I am back in the office