I had a meeting with my supervisor that I am on a "list" for January promotions. I meet all the qualifications, and do my work as if I already have this title. Other people I work with are sometimes surprised to learn that I do not yet hold that senior title.
I don't mind waiting 5 months for a title. It's just a title. The pay and RSUs, however, I'd rather not wait for. I have a few interviews lined up in the next few weeks for this senior position at other companies.
I want to tell my supervisor, "I don't mind waiting around for HR's promotion schedule, but it's silly to be underpaid now for the work I do." but I'm not sure the best way to ask.
If they can't give me the pay raise now, I should have competing offers on the table within a few weeks.
Is this a shortsighted approach? Are there any specific things I can say to my supervisor to convince him to give me this pay raise now even if HR doesn't want titles to be conferred until January?