I have been with my current employer for 6 years. While most developers work in-house, we do have several developers who work remotely. For personal reasons, I am currently in the process of making an offer on a house in another state and will hopefully be moved in the next 2-3 months. Naturally, I intend to work remotely.
In parallel to this, I have long since determined, for various reasons, to seek a new job. I am currently in the latter stages of the interview process with one company and have an interview scheduled for a second company. All jobs I am looking at are remote due to the lack of jobs in my planned moving destination. I am anticipating that I will get an acceptable job offer from the company that I have been interviewing with.
However, nothing is guaranteed and talks with that company may fall through, delaying my departure.
My question is: How should I handle discussions about working remote knowing that a job offer may be close at hand?
If I discuss with my boss arranging a work remote situation, get an offer and then give my two weeks merely weeks or days after, I have concerns that I may appear ungrateful. I do not wish to leave my current employment with hard feelings as our paths may cross again.
Alternatively, if I delay discussing anything until an offer is in hand, I risk having current talks with the new company falling through, leading to the possibility that I will be looking at moving without having properly discussed it with my current employer.