I'll be starting my first proper office job soon, and I just wanted to know if there are any do's and dont's regarding office etiquette and setting a good first impression.
Key things to do..
- Make sure you know how to get to the place
- Make sure you know how long it will take
- Really. If you're reliant on public transport, have you traveled at rush hour, or only in the middle of the day?
- Get there a little early. If you get there too early, there'll be no one there to meet you.
- In addition to being there early, for god's sake don't be late. :)
- Be aware of the dress code and over-dress slightly. You don't need to overdo it.
I would agree about not bringing your own lunch but only because the less stuff you have to carry and store, the simpler things will be. I'm quite anti-social so would neither want to take lunch with my new team mates or have a new starter sit down to eat with me. Just play it by ear. Ask where the best place to get lunch is and see if you get invites.
After this point, your "new guy" instincts will kick in. We all have them, every last one of us. You'll be (outwardly) keen, a little nervous and won't have a clue where anything is. This phase doesn't last long, so don't panic.
Oh, and welcome to the rest of your life. :)
Go with the flow
Watch how your co-workers act in specific scenario's. For example:
Work times are 9 till 5, but noone leaves untill 5:15
Then you might want to work untill 5:15 aswell before leaving and if that bother you, check the next day with your manager as to why noone leaves untill 5:15 and then decide what you will do.
You don't want to be the co-worker who always leaves right on time when the non-written office rules says finish your work then leave.
Don't do anything out of the ordinary untill you know why things go the way they go.