This question already has an answer here:
I have come to the conclusion that most managers are more interested in PR and keeping "low tones" among teams and individuals than getting the job done. (They want to avoid heated arguments). For example, if someone in another team is sloppy in his work, causing me to waste because of that, if I am too direct interacting with that person in order to save time, I get criticized by management as an issue of personal communication. On the other hand my managers do recognize the other party's poor quality of work and the fact that it disrupts my daily tasks.
But the problem is that the other parties never seem to improve so that they "help" me out; while I keep on being criticized for my interactions with them.
- If I send too many mails to figure out how to proceed the complaint is that I send too many mails.
- If I am losing time they complain I wasn't direct in my communication to push things.
- If I am direct specifying what the other person is doing wrong I get the complaint that I am not friendly etc.
Basically is a no win situation for me that has as effect 2 things:
- It makes me have a bad mood in work as I end up redoing things that should have been finished and not focus on interesting aspects of my work.
- I am pretty sure I will never be considered to go to the next level eg for managerial positions as this "communications" criticism is constantly hinted to me without though helping me on how/what should I do to improve (at least according to the management standards).
I am sure that some of the issue is part of my personality as I am a very direct person and task oriented which could be viewed by others as blunt or insensitive. Also this isn't the first company I had this problem. I do want to improve basically because I want to enjoy my work and be able to progress but nobody helps me out.
How can I handle people (who, due to their inabilities cause extra and unnecessary work to me) in a way that doesn't cause a quality issue in my own work, and management stops complaining about my attitude?