This is a difficult one to give a definitive answer to as everyone is different. Basically there are three types as far as I'd see, everything is a variation on these:
- Private space - office, home etc
- shared space - open plan office, shared workspace
- public - coffee shops, libraries, parks etc
It can vary by a lot what is acceptable to an individual, I've mainly worked in shared spaces (mostly open plan offices), some of which could be described as like a crèche, or in one case, downtown Beirut. As a result I can tune out the ambient (sometimes people need to tap me on the shoulder to show they are actually talking to me).
As regards what is necessary equipment, 3 things for me are:
- light weight computer - actually use a 3g chromebook as much as possible, remote desktop onto a VDI if I need some power (I can access servers and power developer desktops). Lets me work anywhere, and move if required.
- Headphones and mobile - bluetooth full closed Sony headphones, good sound for music, plus I can do calls, even take a stroll whilst locked in a never-ending conference call.
- Aladdin thermos cafetiere - make fresh coffee and keep it hot and drinkable, record is 6 hrs - can either plunge my fresh coffee or plunger unscrews for a coffee shop brew.