How should an applicant react if a company invites him/her to an interview before any meaningful conversation occurred?
Here's the background:
- Company: places an anonymous advertisement on a job board. There's only brief reference to technologies used on a position. No company name whatsoever.
- Applicant: sends an email with several clarification questions (no résumé sent).
- Company: (not answering any questions from above, however providing detailed info on the technologies; again, no names) We will be glad to see you on an interview. (Asking several questions on Applicant's legal status etc)
- Applicant: (answered on legal status) I'm not yet confident I'm the best person for your position. There is a certain technology mismatch (sends a résumé, pointing the gaps). Can I learn a bit about your company? Can we arrange a phone interview first?
- Company: Can you please come to our office on Monday?
The Company is located within a 3-hour travel distance either way.
The position is a Mid-Senior level in I.T.
Question: What is the best strategy for an Applicant to follow?