The university I studied at has recently (a few months ago at the time of writing) changed its name.

When including my degree from this university on my CV, what should I put? The name on my degree, the current name, or perhaps both?

  • possible duplicate of In résumé/cover letter what to put if company changed its name? – gnat Jan 20 '15 at 20:28
  • 1
    @gnat I did wonder this myself, but eventually decided that the added complication of my degree being an official document in the University's old name was enough of a differentiator - in my opinion there's also more "prestige" built around a university's name than that of a company. Of course, I'll accept it if the community decides otherwise! – BiscuitBaker Jan 20 '15 at 20:40

Both. With the old name in parentheses.

You want to avoid confusion, so give them all the information they need. This is the same way you would handle a company name change. Sometimes the name change is simple: College to University. Other times it more complex.

  • 1
    I think it also depends on how recent the name change is. I graduated 38 years ago and the college changed its name more than 10 years ago. I go with the current name now. – HLGEM Jan 20 '15 at 19:43
  • you could put "nee {old name}" in brackets, if you wanted to use a fancy term that is somewhat applicable! – bharal Jan 20 '15 at 20:03
  • 5
    I wouldn't use nee (or née) - universities aren't born - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_at_birth – HorusKol Jan 20 '15 at 22:11
  • Just something like "University of FizzBuzz (formerly University of FooBar)" is fine I think. – Konamiman Jan 22 '15 at 12:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.