I recently quit my job not seeing eye to eye with my manager. I was paid $300 salary plus an hourly wage twice a month. When I went back today to get my final paycheck they only paid the hourly rate.

To get the extra $300 each check I had to work 40 hours a week, which I did for the time period that ended. This is in Oklahoma.

Can the employer change my final check like that and withhold the $300?

  • 1
    Was the 300 a bonus? Or was that your salary? If salary, could you clarify the problem? – thursdaysgeek Jan 22 '15 at 0:16
  • It was salary I started getting paid this back last summer. I would 375 every pay check as long as I worked 40 hours every week. We get paid every 5th and 20th and I went today to grab my check but it was regular 2.15 pay. I quit this Sunday due to not seeing eye to eye with my manager anymore I was just wondering if it was legal for them to change my pay like that. – user32191 Jan 22 '15 at 0:19
  • This is in southwest Oklahoma – user32191 Jan 22 '15 at 0:19
  • Do you need to give a formal notice, before you quit? – 3.1415926535897932384626433832 Jan 22 '15 at 0:20
  • 1
    @user32191 Please edit your comment answers into your original question. While you're doing that make sure your question gives the facts in exact chronological order. And stop using 'and' sentences - they make it hard to understand. And add a question. It's now only a complaint. – user8036 Jan 22 '15 at 7:47

Start by letting them know that the check is short and ask them for the balance.

If they tell you no. Then politely let them know that your next step is to file a complaint with the Oklahoma Department of labor. Then ask, again, if they are going to cut a check for the balance.

If they still say no, then go ahead and file: http://www.ok.gov/odol/documents/WageClaimForm.pdf

Note that page 2 of this form states that you need to have asked the employer for the missing wages.

| improve this answer | |
  • Should I do this in person or over the phone? – user32191 Jan 22 '15 at 0:39
  • 2
    I'd do it in person at an appropriate time. In other words I would not try to discuss it in front of customers during a busy lunch time. Above all, be respectful and courteous even if you don't feel they deserve it. – NotMe Jan 22 '15 at 0:41
  • 2
    @user32191 oooooooooh! if they have an email address (and they probably do, it is 2015 you know?) after your conversation with them, if they don't agree to paying the balance send them an email, something like "as i discussed with you earlier today, i am requesting whatever-amount and as you are disputing this amount i will be filing a labor complaint form. That way you have a verifiable record of having told them, should you need it. – bharal Jan 22 '15 at 1:09
  • You may want to ask for the missing wages in person, but ABSOLUTELY make sure you also ask for them either by email or in writing (and preferably by registered letter) so that you later have proof that you have asked for them. If possible get a response in writing. – DJClayworth Jan 22 '15 at 20:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .