The following very awkard situation took place:
- Over the past year, I was fed up with my boss. I created an "adversary image" in my head of "me against my boss".
- I wanted to deal with this situation, so I used the following technique: write down everything you hate about your boss. Then, below each bullet point, write down why it upsets you. For example, I wrote: "control freak" and "I want to be able to peacefully do my work without a hawk watching over my shoulder".
- The point is to focus on the second set of items (I would like...) instead of the initial (I hate...). This way, I can get to know myself better and learn how to cope with those situations that are not ideal for me. In the end, all the negativity should be gone.
So far so good, until:
- My boss found my list. I was not at the office when he found it. The reason this document was present in the workplace on my desk is because I wanted to be reminded of all the things I still need to learn and it is easier for me if such a list is written down in front of me rather than as a chaotic emotional bubble in my head.
One could argue, why is your boss snooping around your desk? However, this is irrelevant for this question. As you can imagine, the situation has been reversed completely. Instead of me wanting to find peace, I accidently declared war through my own carelessness.
Important note: I already quit my job a week ago. I still have a few weeks to go though before I start at my new place. I wanted to use this technique at my current workplace before I start at my new place so I don't repeat the same mistakes of not being able to deal with those situations.
What do I want to achieve:
- Make the last weeks of my job as tranquil as possible for both me, my boss and any other coworkers despite the problematic situation at hand.
- Learn from my mistakes, and I do not mean "don't leave those kind of papers hanging around on your desk", but instead I mean learn from the mistakes of growing to hate somebody
- The reason the document was created in the first place is because I cannot let those disturbing thoughts wander around in my head. I wanted to channel them. Unfortunately, I made the siutation much worse for me rather than better, as a result I'm very stressed. I'm looking for way to reduce stress.
- How can I achieve any of these goals?
- If they cannot be achieved, what is the next best thing?
Please deter from the following unconstructive, irrelevant comments:
- References to comical movie plots. This is not comical for me at all.
- Statement about how dumb making such documents is. I KNOW.
- Personal attacks. If you can only say negative things about me, why bother trying to answering this question?