What is a logical/rationale method to implement for deciding when activities required for work are needed to be done by an employee to be considered as holiday or work day.
An international employee that is employed on a contract renewal basis. The employee is currently employed by the company that is renewing the contract and must go to immigration to renew a work visa on time of contract.
Given that immigration is only open during working hours of the company, what would this time away from work be considered. Is this day a vacation day for the employee or is it considered a working day?
1) Employee needs car to go to work. Getting a license renewed is a holiday.
2) Employee needs to take a legally required medical exam for company insurance. Going to the hospital for exam is not a holiday.
3) Employee needs to take mandatory sexual harassment training. It is not a holiday.
4) As it is a work visa, not everyone in the company will need to do this.
5) As DavidK points out in comments, some activies are required by the company, some activities are required by the government of the employee, and some are required by the government of the company.