I joined company A in Feb 2013 and resigned from there in May 2014. At that time I received all the necessary documents. Two months later, the 21st July 2014 I once again joined company A but after a period of 3 months in Oct 2014 I resigned from company A.

I was unable to serve out the 30 day notice period since I had already signed with company B where I had to start immediately. To solve this problem, I asked my previous company if I could skip the 30 day notice period if I agreed to forego 1 month of salary and they agreed, but when I joined company B and they sent a background verification mail to company A, company A sent them negative feedback saying I did not serve the notice period.

This has lead to company B firing me and in addition company A is refusing to provide the required release letter. What can I do in this situation?

  • I do not understand that. Your next company knew you would not serve your notice period with the old company and then fired you because you did not serve said period? That does not make sense. Did I miss something? Maybe you can add some paragraphs to make it easier to read.
    – nvoigt
    Commented Mar 13, 2015 at 7:37
  • 3
    Which country are you in? Commented Mar 13, 2015 at 10:36
  • release letter = relieving letter? Lots of answers about relieving letters. Commented Mar 13, 2015 at 11:54
  • 2
    Do you have proof that company A agreed to let you end your notice period early? Even some emails that were saved? Showing that to company B may help. And when asked, company A probably only said "No, user33309 did not serve notice period", which would be true.
    – David K
    Commented Mar 13, 2015 at 12:30
  • 1
    My guess is the discussion about forgoing salary in lieu of notice was with a (lower level) manager, and the company HR dept had no clue and was treating him/her per company regulations. I agree with Myles answer and if you don't have it in writing, not much you can do.
    – CGCampbell
    Commented Mar 13, 2015 at 19:11

1 Answer 1


If you have it in writing that an agreement was made that you would forego one month salary in exchange for not serving the notice period then that should be presented to Company B. If you do not then it is a valuable lesson in getting things in writing.

The flip side of this is that if they are saying you were not released then you may still be entitled to that one month salary but you should contact a labor lawyer to examine the specifics of the situation with respect to local law.

Good luck.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .