So during my probational period of 6 months my old boss left and I took up his position with no change to my side of the agreement, the director of the company approached me and said because they could not afford to lose me they wanted to increase my notice period to 2 months (I have been here 5 months at this point) I couldn't turn him down at the time because I felt if I did they would consider me a risk and not allow me to pass my probation period, however 3 months down the line I feel the company has taken advantage of my kind nature to the point where I can't even ask to be up to the same level of pay as people in my company who in the hierarchy are supposed to be under me, I like this company but I can't keep working for them, however I can't leave easily (without risk) as no company would wait 2 months for someone to leave before hiring them.

I felt under duress of losing my job when I signed the contract, and at this point I regret it every day...

Anyone have any advice to what I can do?

  • You may want to mention your location. A 2 month waiting period wouldn't be a major hurdle here, but here is certainly not where you are (as you couldn't have a 6 month probationary period here). And thus sorry, no advice from my side. – MSalters May 5 '15 at 15:29
  • 2
    If you are in India this is trouble for you. If you are in Canada or the US not so much. – Myles May 5 '15 at 15:33
  • @Myles Please stop spreading nonsense based on your half-baked information. There are no such issues here in India. 99.9% of employees in India don't have any issues with their notice period, the remaining 0.1% people face issues because they join dubious employers without verifying their background. – Masked Man May 5 '15 at 15:50
  • @MaskedMan - so how do you account for all the questions on relieving letters? As far as I understood, you can't move job without one, so you are at the mercy of the employer's wishes notice wise (which I think is Myles's point) – The Wandering Dev Manager May 5 '15 at 16:08
  • @TheWanderingDevManager It looks like you have some issue in reading my full comment, so let me help you a bit: "the remaining 0.1% people face issues because they join dubious employers without verifying their background." Do you know the size of the Indian workforce? If this relieving letter were such a huge problem, wouldn't you expect more than a few dozen questions on those? You guys are either falling to confirmation bias or deliberately avoiding rational thinking. Doesn't your "at will" employment in US literally mean you are at your employer's mercy? :P – Masked Man May 5 '15 at 16:32

You only have two choices, since you signed the revised agreement:

1) if you don't plan to leave any time soon, this may not be worth worrying about. Focus on your job.

2) Save up enough funds to live on while you do another job hunt (or make plans for temporary jobs to fill that gap) and give notice. You need the savings in case they decide to let you go before you've found another job.

I don't think there's anything else we can offer you.

  • Is the fear of losing my job if I didn't sign it not significant in any way? – Dansmith May 5 '15 at 14:22
  • I'm afraid not. – keshlam May 5 '15 at 14:24
  • ... but you may need local legal advice to be sure. – keshlam May 5 '15 at 15:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .