I'm a Java developer. My exit from my previous employer was rather "unceremonious." I don't have ANY proof of my involvement with them, not even payslips. I destroyed it all. Call it self-sabotage. I quit after enduring "a prolonged emotional trauma." When I couldn't take it anymore, I called up HR & informed them that I won't be attending work anymore. After they gave up on trying to convince me to come back in, they convinced me to serve my notice period from home. The notice period went flawlessly, but since I never went back there (& never will), I don't have the relieving letter either. This was my 1st job after college, of which I only completed 3 (outta 4) years. How do I explain all this to my interviewers, who won't hire me without my previous employer's payslips, relieving letter, etc.?

  • Can I take "a prolonged emotional trauma" as some for of mental health issue? Are you now seeking treatment? Is the "relieving letter" a legal requirement? Did you leave on good terms with any off your co-workers? – mlk Jun 24 '15 at 15:39
  • 3
    Hire a lawyer to act as your intermediary and have that person ask ffor teh reliveing lette and copies of payslips.r. – HLGEM Jun 24 '15 at 15:42
  • 6
    Suppose that the payslips and relieving letter had instead been destroyed in a house fire; how would someone proceed then? Are there really no provisions for such situations? – Monica Cellio Jun 24 '15 at 15:45
  • 3
    If you have a bank account, you should be able to use bank statements to prove you were paid by them for three+ years. Also, is there a reason you can't just ask for the relieving letter? Will they not just mail it to you? – BSMP Jun 24 '15 at 15:54
  • 4
    I don't get the problem. Call HR and ask them to mail them or even courier them at your expense. If they will only supply them in person decide whether a few minutes of discomfort is worth being unhirable. – Myles Jun 24 '15 at 16:08

I don't know what happened but based on the fact that you don't even want to call or e-mail them, I have to assume it was dire (even if it was only that way for you).

As stated in the comments, bank statements showing you were paid by your employer should be a sufficient replacement for pay stubs.

As for the letter, if you really need to avoid direct contact, do this through a trusted friend or family member (TFF).

1) Set up a really strict e-mail rule to send any email from your employer to a special folder. Have your TFF do it for you if necessary.

2) Have your TFF write the email requesting the relieving letter from your employer.

3) Any conversation about getting the letter gets filtered through your TFF. If there are certain topics or issues that might come up that you don't want to hear about, instruct your TFF not to tell you about it. Not only what was said but that it was in an email at all. You only hear what's strictly necessary to handle the logistics of getting the letter.

4) Once you have the letter, change your e-mail rule to delete any e-mail from your previous employer. Delete the entire folder of e-mails you've already received.

I would suggest using a throwaway e-mail address but I don't think your employer would necessarily trust a message from an address they don't recognize. You could also do the same thing via a snail mail letter with your TFF reading and writing the correspondence.

I don't see a way around either getting the letter or explaining why you won't get the letter. I'd be one thing if you couldn't get the letter, but I think an employer would view you not having it and being vague about why very poorly.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.