I joined my first and current company and I am at the verge of leaving due to unexpected internal politics, but all these 16 months I have not been given a confirmation nor an increment in salary. The internal communication application has always read that I am a trainee. So my question is, will the company give me my experience certificate as a trainee ? Or a software developer ?

closed as off-topic by gnat, scaaahu, nvoigt, Jenny D, enderland Jun 26 '15 at 13:16

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking advice on company-specific regulations, agreements, or policies should be directed to your manager or HR department. Questions that address only a specific company or position are of limited use to future visitors. Questions seeking legal advice should be directed to legal professionals. For more information, click here." – gnat, scaaahu, nvoigt, Jenny D, enderland
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    This should be define in your working-contract. Trainee is a level, not a job description. Beeing trainee in one field usually doesn't worth much for another field. – Sempie Jun 26 '15 at 7:24
  • What country are you in? India? – DJClayworth Jun 26 '15 at 15:59
  • @Sempie In my offer letter it reads software developer. But I am not sure about my relieving letter. – SoundStage Jun 26 '15 at 16:10
  • @JoeStrazzere Giving confirmation is a formal acknowledgement that I am a permanent employee at the company, which means I am entitled to all benefits that are usually given to the permanent employees. For example, I am now just given 1 day sick leave per month and no other sort of leave, whereas the permanent employees get casual leave of 15 days a year and few more leaves that totally add up to a month or so - all of which I do not get as I am not a permanent employee. – SoundStage Jun 26 '15 at 16:17
  • @DJClayworth Yes, I am from India. Can you tell me why you are asking that? – SoundStage Jun 26 '15 at 16:18

Your title is what the company says your title is. When you are officially handled as a trainee, that will likely be what they will write into your certificate. However, usually a trainee is always specific to a profession, so it will likely read something like "trainee software developer".

When you have good relations with the company and you did much work which goes beyond the usual responsibilities of a trainee you might be able to convince them to write that you worked as a full-fledged software developer, but they are not obligated to do this.

By the way, you often can influence what a company writes into your certificates to a certain degree. A company has nothing to lose by writing what you want, but they can lose by writing something you don't want because it might result in an annoying lawsuit. For that reason most companies are usually cooperative when they are approached by soon-to-be ex employees about what to write into their certificates.

  • I hope I get my relieving letter as Software Developer. I am not familiar with the laws and guidelines about software industry in India. – SoundStage Jun 26 '15 at 16:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.