I'll be starting a new job this fall and resigned from my current position yesterday. I didn't plan to name the exact company I'll be working for, but let it slip.
- I'm not changing to a competitor & I'll be changing industry fields (within the broad envelope of environmental engineering)
- as far as I can tell allready, the split from my current company is friendly
- I don't think that anyone from my current company has buddies within the new, but I could be wrong
- I gave a longer notice period then strictly neccessary (8 weeks instead of 4)
- I only resigned after having my new contract
So, at first glance I don't think much bad will happen because of that slip. On the other hand, others (with a decade or two professional experience more than me) made a very similar move before and were careful to not mention the specific company they'll work for. I assume they know something I don't.
What risks did I expose myself to by mentioning my new employer? What should I look out for in the coming weeks? How can I mitigate these risks, if at all?