I have been interning at a large company for around 2 years now while I've been getting my CS degree. During that period, all of my time has been spent in business units and not really IT. My internship has also been split between two groups. I began interning with my current group at the start of the year, and they hired me on full time when I graduated in late April.
I like my coworkers in my current group, but I don't really enjoy the work. The job is more of an electrical/wireless engineering role that supports a large wireless system. There is some programming mixed in, but it is not the main focus. However, no IT jobs were available when the position was offered to me and the pay/benefits were good, so I took it anyway. Now I find myself uninterested and unfulfilled. I feel like I;m not really doing what I spent four years learning how to do.
Today, I noticed that an IT job that I am qualified for was posted within the company. I think I would enjoy the position more than my current job, and I think I would be better at it. But I'm afraid of burning any bridges with my current group or boss since I've only been in the group for 6 months (and only ~2 months has been full time).
Some other possibly important facts:
- The IT job would probably not be an increase in pay.
- The IT job involves support enterprise-wide solutions, which I am very interested in.
- The IT job offers telecommuting from home two days a week, which my current position does not.
- There is no "grace period" for applying for new positions at my company. I have checked with HR.
- Another coworker who supports my current group (and the senior member) is also leaving for an IT job in the company soon. After he is gone, I will be the only support member in the group until they can fill his position.
Could anyone give some advice for my particular situation?