I recently had to work abroad for a few days and there is another trip scheduled for a few weeks time.
The first time, since the time I arrived, I felt depressed and dejected. I didn't sleep properly and I lost my appetite. Since finding out I have to go again, the same symptoms have manifested.
I've tried to work out the cause of the anxiety but I am agitated because I can't work out what it is:
- The work wasn't a problem, there wasn't actually very much for me to do and I don't think I achieved anything meaningful so I wasn't overworked.
- I didn't like being away from my partner, but I've spent time away from them before.
- I was a bit worried about what was expected of me before we left, but I think I handled everything that was expected well
- Company – I get along with the coworkers I was with well enough, so it wasn't socially uncomfortable.
- I don't have a problem with flying.
I'm currently the only person in the ideal role, but there are others that could manage. I'm happy to do extra work to help somebody else learn what to do or to work remotely (if this is technically possible. It's not currently, but there was talk of making it possible anyway).
Some other information that may be pertinent:
- We are contractors for the company abroad.
- My boss is away for the next few weeks. I'd prefer not to disturb him, but this does feel like something I should mention sooner rather than later.
- I don't want to play a "this is a mental health concern" card. I feel like it will seem like an "excuse" rather than a sound reason.
- I've only been in this job 3 months and I'm still in my probation period.
What is the best way to explain to my boss that I'd really not work away again as it made me feel depressed and stressed?