I accepted a position as a software developer at a large multinational company after having completed an internship there last summer. We negotiated the start date to what I thought to be sufficiently in advance for me to finish all my coursework and graduate by that time.
However, it seems likely to me now that I won't be able to finish all the requirements for a degree before my scheduled start date. My question is: is it likely that the company will renege on the offer?
Some clarifying details:
- Nowhere in the written documents I've signed (offer letter, contract, ...) is it specified that the offer is in any way contingent on my graduating, nor was the expected graduation time in my CV,
- I was given an offer mostly on the basis of my performance during internship.
- No matter what, I'll be able to finish the remaining requirements for the degree within 12 months of my start date at latest - while working full-time i.e. without delaying my start time. I can complete the coursework without being physically at the university, save maybe for an isolated day here or there for which I can take a day off.
- I'll be employed by the UK branch of the company (and work in UK).
- I am currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Computer and Data Science.