I am working for US based client in their IT department as a consultant from their vendors. The team consists other team members who are from different vendors and Client own employees.
I am aspiring for a lead position in the team since from long time. However recently the current lead position became available as current lead quit.
Management asked to take look after that role temporarily till management find out another lead. For me it is good opportunity to prove myself and prepare for future promotion. However after a week assessment I sense a lot of challenges beyond my capabilities and things are stranger than when earlier leads are there and I feel situation is not quite right.
Below are few things I have noticed.
- Senior Business analyst approached me for my inputs to draft project plan. Usually PM will draft detailed plan.
- Situation is premature to draft a plan as scope, requirements and other inputs for the team are not finalized. But still Business Analyst insisted I gave my best guessed estimates rather than scientifically derived estimates.
- To my surprise the final project plan has lot of discrepancies and dates are not even closer to my estimates and declared dates will not be flexible.
- We have a dependency on other departments who just provided insufficient information and denied to provide more information.
- As I am consultant I don’t have no authority or control over any of my team member. All I can do is make requests and recommendations and motivate the people to do their best.
By seeing all the above I sense there is something definitely wrong. Is it appropriate if I say to my manager “I will support 100% and I will do what ever I can do in order to make team success how ever since the given challenges and risks, I will not take either responsibility for failure or disaster”?