I have been pursuing new positions in my field and got an offer for one role and accepted it a couple days ago; I had another role come up suddenly right at the same time and they are considering making me an offer. I've been up front with everyone that this is in play. The recruiter (independent staffing firm, aka headhunter) for job #2 is pressing me hard for "what would it take" in terms of a compensation number to get me in that role. Both of these roles developed quickly and are different from both a short term responsibility and long term trajectory point of view, and my immediate reaction is to just say "tell them to make me their best offer, I'll consider over the weekend, and give you a prompt decision."
But the recruiter isn't super happy with that, they, somewhat understandably, want to give job #2 a "magic number" it would take to land me that I would say yes to immediately upon the offer being extended. I am not really sure what that number is, as comp is only a part of what I look at in a position and since I'm still working job #0 I don't have a lot of "reflecting on life" time during the week.
So I just resisted and said "if they want to make an offer great, I'll consider it over the weekend. That's all I'll commit to." Is this the wrong thing to do? I feel like it's reasonable to get both real offers in hand and not just hypotheticals, talk about it with family and trusted colleagues, etc. I have to admit I started to feel like I was being badgered into buying a used car during hour #2 of the recruiter working on me about this and it started to get my back up about the whole thing, even though I understand their perspective.
Given that I don't like making snap decisions about major life changes, what is a better way to handle this situation, where a recruiter "wants to know for sure you're going to say yes" before getting an offer in hand? Is there an advantage to giving them a number, or to resisting?