Consider the below environment with 10 made up people and their corresponding titles.
- 4 upper peasants (Jeff, Jennifer, Joe),
- 6 peasants (Gary, Gilly, Gordon, Gertrude, George, Gloria),
- 1 peasant in chief (Master Chief).
The aim is to, well basically find how to advance the careers of these people without destroying the team regarding the below conditions,
- team 1 consists of Gilly and Gary.(1 major & critical, several minor projects)
Gilly and Gary get along fine. Gary has been made responsible for a large project (without a position change) which they both work for. Gilly is several years more experienced. Gilly is one of those silent people who complain (or show joy) very rarely. Gary is less experienced technically but has shown initiative and has taken charge in several crisis moments.
- team 2 consists of Gordon, Gertrude and Jeff (1 very critical and large project)
Gordon is very experienced technically from his peer Gertrude who admires his knowledge. Gordon keeps cool under pressure. Jeff has more technical knowledge and experience than both combined. Team members get along well, but Jeff is very resistant to management suggestions both technical and not so. He believes he is a technical leader if he must be any (despises the term leader), and actively dislikes and rebels against management of other forms. He enjoys trying new techs.
- team 3 has Gloria, George, Jennifer and Joe (Several medium, 1 large project)
Gloria is a junior with the least tech experience in the whole group. George is expecting a promotion which he feels is way overdue. He is also resentful because of this. He is technically skilled and looks visibly uneasy and uncomfortable when tasks are given to him. He states almost on all possible occasions that his friends have management roles. Jennifer is a veteran of the company but with less technical skills then George. She firmly believes she can do a better job than the Master Chief but her methods and insistence on this topic feels very repulsive to other members of the group. She openly questions and mildly quarrels with the group chief in all decisions. The last group member Joe, who is a veteran of the group and also a technical guru. He dislikes all non-technical managerial tasks but none the less can do so to a low degree if need be. He believes no one can tell him what to do (except the Master Chief). Maybe rightfully so.
- Now Above all is the Master Chief. He believes managerial tasks are tedious and prefers to assist team in technical tasks when time allows (sometimes when it does not). He may be promoted away and his position may be empty in the not so far future. That will create a power vacuum which most likely some will want to fill, furiously.
Somebody is going to be promoted to peasant leader in the group (management demand) also someone may have to fill the Master Chief title in due time. But there is no clear choice as to who. Since:
Promoting Gary, George or Gordon means moving them 2 steps up which will massively demoralize the rest of the group. Gilly, Gloria and Gertrude have no interest in this promotion. No one in the group would say no to the title.
That leaves Jeff, Jennifer and Joe. Jeff does not like management while Joe looks so-so. Jennifer is practically verbally asking for promotion.
My personal opinion is to somehow get Gary from team 1. But this feels like it would disintegrate the group in time.